A very “productive” day…

Posted August 31st, 2010 by Caroline and filed in Breakfast, Caroline Dines Locally, Dinner, Lunch, Snacks
Tags: , , , , , ,

Last night, when I realized that we would officially be entering into a heat wave, (the forecast was calling for a record breaking 97 degrees) I devised a plan to escape the urban heat and still have a “productive” day. Since my summer classes officially ended, a “productive” day for me has meant exercise of some sort, reading for pleasure, and an errand or two. Of course my work day begins at 4:30 but up until that time I have been trying to fit in as many relaxing activities as I can since summer won’t last forever and my classes will start up again before I know it…

So, my alarm went off at 6:00 a.m., and by 6:04 I was out of bed. This is quite early for me but I knew that in order to completely avoid any traffic, I needed to get an early start.

Getting out of bed this early was made easier by the promise of a delicious breakfast that I had planned out the night before.

I toasted 2 English crumpets…and added a bit of butter to the tops…

Then sliced up a perfectly ripe peach and microwaved a TJ’s Mango Chicken Sausage (these are my favorite!). To wash it all down I had a frosty glass of Mango Iced Tea.  Absolutely delicious!

I was in the car by 6:30 and made great time thanks to my planning ahead. Check out the traffic going towards the city…good thing I am always doing the “reverse commute” :)

I made it to my “beat the heat” destination in great time (a little before 8:00 a.m.). Where did I decide to go? Well, with lots of fabulous water opportunities nearby it’s hard to pick but I had a bonus waiting for me in Little Compton R.I., my Grandmother! We spoke the night before and I realized that it would be the perfect day to go for a couple reasons:

1.) It’s going to be about 10-20 degrees hotter in the city than in Little C, so while still hot it’s will be a bit cooler and with the beach right there I can get some relief! 

2.) She was free!

3.) I was scheduled to do a 10 mile run and am always looking to change up my route.

Arriving earlier was also beneficial for my run because it was only about 80 at this point. Still hot for 8 a.m. though !!! I made sure to load up my fuel belt with cold H2O before leaving.

Setting out on this run, I felt pretty exhausted. My legs felt like bricks, my feet were sore (I need new running shoes again!) and I was psyching myself out about the heat and the distance I had planned. However, after the first mile which was a 8:56, I had a mental and physical switch. I am not entirely sure what triggered it but I started picking up the pace and it felt great. I think it may have had something to do with the new scenery, good music and the fact that my lungs felt strong. I guess all my marathon training is paying off!

I had planned a big loop but soon realized that I was feeling an “out and back” situation instead and so adjusted mid run. Around mile 2, I encountered a tiny turtle trying to cross the road. I almost stepped on him and was so thankful that I didn’t. I stopped for a second to help him find safety so that he did get squished in the road.  He was too cute not to take a picture of so I quickly squatted down to get his best angle. ;)

After the turtle I just focused on keeping my legs moving as quickly as possible and was so surprised every mile that passed by with minimal effort. I don’t think I have ever run this kind of distance at this kind of speed and it gave me hope for my future goal of qualifying for the Boston Marathon.

Here’s how my splits ended up:

Mile 1: 8:56

Mile 2: 8:39

Mile 3: 8:39

Mile 4: 8:33

Mile 5: 8:15 < cruising!!!

Mile 6: 8:43

Mile 7: 8:23

Mile 8: 8:47

Mile 9: 8:35

Mile 10: 8:31

At the halfway point I came to literally the end of the road, Sakonnet Point. I debated running my way out on the rocks to the real end of the road but quickly thought better once I realized my ankle might not make it!

I stopped for a brief minute to drink a sip or two of water and enjoy the view.

Then I set out again to finish this run up. I was so happy when I finally made it home and looked down at my Garmin to see these figures. My goal had been 1:30 for 10 miles and I beat it by 5 whole minutes!!!

Happy/Sweaty Face!

I showered briefly before throwing on my suit and grabbing my gear for the beach. Nana and I took a swim right off when we arrived and then many more! It was soo hot but the water was super refreshing at 69 degrees.

Having checked off one item on my “productivity” list, I started in on another: reading! I am loving this book that I borrowed from my other Grandmother and am trying to finish it before visiting her this coming weekend.

For lunch I had packed up some Hickory Smoked Blue Fish that I bought at the South End Open Market this past Sunday. I threw in some spinach, Grillo’s Pickled Tomato and Relish, a bit of feta, some TJ’s Light Parmesan Ranch dressing, and a few AkMak crackers on the side.

The highlight was a tie between the smoked fish and the Grillo’s Tomato. Just look at all that fresh dill on top!

The fish and the creamy dressing were the perfect compliment to each other as well. Nothing better than eating locally caught fish while staring out at the bright blue ocean. The Grillo’s Relish was hard to beat too, it was dill flavored and so fresh and crunchy; like adding vegetables to the salad with some extra salt. Lucky for me I needed the salt since my run was super hot and quite long.

I also could handle a few extra calories today so I was pleased when my grandmother brought out not 1 but 2 soft and chewy, oatmeal raisin cookies! These totally hit my sweet tooth after all that vinegar and dill. I am definitely a good mix of my parents, my Dad can’t get enough of salty things and my Mom would eat dessert after breakfast if it was socially accepted. :)

After lunch, more swimming and reading commenced. I also may have managed a few zzzzz’s in there (waking up at 6 and running my little heart out takes it out of me!) I woke up,  broke for a little snack before heading home. This was my second peach of the day, which I am not complaining about at all, just check out the juice factor on this guy!

It was so hard to pack up and go but I knew I had to leave more time to get home since traffic would be piling up by the afternoon. I took an ice cold shower and dressed for work. Then I hopped in my car and on my way out of town decided to check the last thing off my list: an errand. I needed some fresh produce so stopping in at Walker’s Roadside Stand was the perfect solution!

I picked out four ears of corn, four peaches, a box of crackers, a head of lettuce and some of these golden grape tomatoes. How enticing does this display look? It made me want to buy some mozzarella and call it a day.

While snapping this shot, I noticed something in the distance. Upon closer inspection it turned out to be just what I suspected…A Del’s Lemonade sign!

Now, at this point it’s 90 some degrees (still cooler than the city) and I’m working with a 900 calorie deficit for the day. A sweet, frosty, iced lemonade was just what the body ordered.

I did exercise a bit of restraint and ordered the small which ended up being smaller than I wanted but still made my mouth happy! This little guy was probably about 8 ounces. Soooo cool and refreshing….I am talking about the Del’s, not me with my wet hair and shades trying to look cool while taking a self portrait at a stop light. ;)

After a longer ride back (traffic!) I was horrified to see that the temperature had crept from 87 when I left Little Compton to an unbelievable high of 102 in Boston! Gotta love the city! :)

For dinner I threw together a quick salad using some more Mango Sausage, fresh lettuce, fresh tomatos, the last of my feta, more TJ’s parmesan ranch dressing, raisins, and sliced almonds. On the side I had the tastiest ear of corn I’ve had this summer.  Oh and I threw in a pickle for good measure to my salad. In case you’ve been counting I am up to 3 different Grillo’s Pickle products for the day. Too much sodium? Probably, but I like to think it’s ok because of the amount I sweat during my runs. I really crave it after hard work outs.

Fresh corn is the best.

9 Responses to “A very “productive” day…”

  1. Katie says:

    You make me want to run 10 miles and eat a crumpet! Glad to see you’re doing well. :-)

  2. Arie says:

    LC is the place to be to beat the heat! And that corn is tasty.

  3. Simply Life says:

    Looks like you had a great day!

  4. Elina says:

    Yay – congrats on the run. That’s some speedy legs you got ;)
    Lovely day with the family too. I love all the produce and of course the cookies look fantastic!!

  5. BroccoliHut says:

    Great job on the run! Loving the Ak Maks:)

  6. Stephanie says:

    I love the tomato picture, yummmm!

  7. BostonRunner says:

    Wow everything looks delicious! And congrats on the run!

  8. Meg says:

    i don’t think that’s too many pickles… don’t you have to replenish your salt, too?

    ps your mile splits are INSANE! you are going super fast, amazing!

  9. Meg says:

    I seem to have been going with the notion that I should have a Grillo’s pickle at least once a day…I feel it’s slightly necessary. Sounds like fun in the sun with Nana!

Leave a Reply

Please leave these two fields as-is:

Protected by Invisible Defender. Showed 403 to 393,315 bad guys.

Spam Protection by WP-SpamFree